'Pressing On' (1980)
Bob Dylan was firmly in his "Jesus Is Coming" period when the 1980s began. Audiences that flocked to his concerts were stunned to learn they had to sit through an entire show of gospel songs, without a single oldie in the mix. They also got to see an absolutely killer band, and Dylan singing with incredible passion and force. The show often wrapped up with Dylan at the piano belting out this song. The gospel number has been covered by acts including John Doe of X and the Chicago Mass Choir, and it deserves to be sung at every church in America. Don't get too tripped up on the message. Give it a listen.
• Bob Dylan on His Dark New Album, 'Tempest'
• Photos: Previously Unseen Bob Dylan Lyrics from 1965
• The 10 Greatest Bob Dylan Songs
• Experts: Bob Dylan's Lost Newport Guitar Found in New Jersey
• 100 Greatest Artists: Bob Dylan
• 100 Greatest Singers: Bob Dylan
blog comments powered by Disqus