In the wake of Amy Winehouse's death, speculation abounded as to whether or not the third installation of the singer's successful collaboration with British fashion label Fred Perry would ever see a public release. Intially, the label indicated Winehouse's family would need to condone any future plans before any formal decisions could be made on their end. Fortunately, the Winehouse family blessing came through; Fred Perry announced this week that the singer's next two seasons will be produced as originally planned.
"After much consideration and with the blessing of Amyʼs family, Fred Perry has decided to release the AW11 range and wholesale the SS12 Amy Winehouse for Fred Perry Collection," a statement reads, meaning that the designs that Winehouse had approved for those seasons will see the light of day (though wholesale means that the Spring 2012 collection won't be available in most stores). Beyond that timeline, the fate of the partnership is unknown.
Mitch Winehouse, the singer's father, explains: "When Fred Perry came to us to ask what we would like to do with the new collection it was natural to continue. Amy loved working on both collections and would want them to be made available."
The houndstooth and gingham heavy Fall 2011 collection evokes Winehouse's signature retro personal style, while integrating the key elements of British street style for which Fred Perry has become known.
Proceeds from the upcoming collections will benefit the newly launched Amy Winehouse Foundation, while the label plans to make further seasonal donations to the charity in the future.
• Amy Winehouse: Fashion's Roman Candle
• Amy Winehouse's Death: A Troubled Star Gone Too Soon
• Musicians Respond to Amy Winehouse's Death
• Photos: Amy Winehouse Remembered
• Photos: The Tumultuous Life Of Amy Winehouse
• The Diva and Her Demons: Rolling Stone's 2007 Amy Winehouse Cover Story
• Up All Night With Amy Winehouse: Rolling Stone's 2008 Story
• Video: Behind the Feature: Claire Hoffman on Interviewing Amy Winehouse
• Photos: Not Fade Away: Amy Winehouse and More Rockers Lost Before Their Time
• Video: Amy Winehouse: Remembering the Soul Icon
• Video: U2 Pay Tribute to Amy Winehouse
• Family: Amy Winehouse's Death 'Leaves a Gaping Hole In Our Lives'
• Courtney Love on Amy Winehouse: 'I'm Gutted'