Kanye West's two-hour visit to the Rolling Stone offices last week featured the MC fielding questions from our entire staff (interns included), playing us a handful new tracks from his upcoming album and, on numerous occasions, jumping up on our conference room table and rapping a cappella. Today, Kanye did his best to replicate the candid experience for his fans by hosting a surprise live webcast on Ustream. In case you missed the chat, here are the highlights:
1) Kanye's new album is due out in November and not September 14th as it's been previously reported, meaning fans will wait to two months before they can hear his follow-up to 808s & Heartbreak.
2) The second single from his upcoming album will be released in roughly "20 days," and West says he was choosing between either "Lost in the World" and "All of the Lights." Kanye then busted out his other laptop — because one piece of hardware is not just not enough — and played fans the opening bars of "All of the Lights," which sounded great despite transmitting from his laptop speakers to his other laptop microphone over Ustream and out of computer speakers.
3) Kanye stays in incredible hotel rooms. West conducted his interview on Ustream — dubbed Ye'Stream by Kanye in honor of himself — from his hotel room in Korea, which had a beautiful, screensaver-worthy view of the neighboring ocean. Often during the roughly half-hour webcast, we found ourselves spacing out of Kanye's long rants and just staring at the sun setting — or rising? — behind him.
4) Kanye is not a racist. In fact, he claims he has collaborated with more white people than any other rapper, and that his jeans are the tightest in hip-hop.
5) West assured fans that even though he replaced the teeth in his lower jaw line with diamonds, he would not be using jewelry cleaner to brush his teeth. He'll still use toothpaste.
Kanye also talked at length about his new "moving painting" for "Power" and being a better person and not a "rude asshole celebrity." "It's about the art, and I'm not allowing my attitude to get in the way of my creation anymore. Now my statement is amazing work, that's all I wanna do," West said.