The long-reigning kings of big-sky psychedelia emerge from their Oklahoma City bunker to ask this musical question: If the Powerpuff Girls took on Black Sabbath's "Iron Man," who would win? The answer, in this case, is the listener. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots isn't the end-to-end triumph that was 1999's The Soft Bulletin, still the most beauteous of Lips albums. But the production is equally ambitious, with burbling electrobeats underpinning sci-fi orchestrations that sound like the brainchild of Esquivel and the Orb. Techno isn't the band's forte, as "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 2" demonstrates. But elsewhere the trio's love of sound sorcery is gently folded into gorgeous melodies such as "In the Morning of the Magicians," "Are You a Hypnotist??" and "Do You Realize?" "All we have is now," Wayne Coyne sings, and the Lips sound absolutely ecstatic to be living in the moment.
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
- Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
- The Flaming Lips
From The Archives Issue 901: July 25, 2002
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- 15 Best Lines From Justin Bieber's Roast
- John Lennon's Ex-Wife Cynthia Dead at 75
- Watch Kendrick Lamar Celebrate Compton in 'King Kunta' Video
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- Watch the Intense, Violent New 'Straight Outta Compton' Trailer
- Bloodied Van Halen Play Wild, Reckless Set on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- Avril Lavigne Was 'Bedridden' Following Battle With Lyme Disease