Late 1973 was a high time for the Grateful Dead. In October, they issued the first album on their own label, Wake of the Flood, a Top Twenty hit. The Dead had also beat the devilry of arena acoustics with amonstrous, traveling PA that was worth the bills just for the ice-knifeslice of Jerry Garcia's guitar solos. A running joy across this nine-CD box, recorded November 9th-11th in the Dead's Seventies Bay Area playpen, is the clarity and agility of Garcia's outbursts in the roamingspells of "Eyes of the World" and "Weather Report Suite." Oiled and armed from a good year on tour (including the Watkins Glen festival in July), the entire band is in buoyant form, juggling dynamics — country, psychedelic strut and spaced exploration (a gorgeous free-fall "DarkStar") — with a connected poise that peaks on the 10th in awinding-river ride in and out of "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band" and "Morning Dew." These shows were a return to balance for the Dead. In March 1973, organist Ron "Pigpen" McKernan died, and the losslooms big in the slow, deep breaths of "Row Jimmy," "Wharf Rat" and the11th's closing hymn, "And We Bid You Goodnight." As the Dead would cometo know, over and over, the road goes on forever. But the warriors donot.
Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings
- Winterland 1973: The Complete Recordings
- The Grateful Dead
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Mental Floss10 Actors Who Hated Their Own Films
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Mental Floss10 People Banned from SNL
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Cracked27 Surprising Real Stories Behind Famous Songs
- Watch John Oliver Defend Transgender Rights on 'Last Week Tonight'
- Watch Puff Daddy Throw Bad Boy Reunion at BET Awards
- Watch U2 Play 'Gloria' for First Time In 10 Years at Chicago Show
- What's Killing the Babies of Vernal, Utah?
- Hating Seth MacFarlane: A Timeline
- Chris Squire, Yes Bassist and Co-Founder, Dead at 67
- Glen Campbell's Daughter Ashley Details Dad's Declining Health
- Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman Remember Yes' Chris Squire