To answer the title: He's an Igbo chieftain from Eastern Nigeria who produced eight funky, spacey, handsomely strange synth-disco LPs in the late Seventies and Eighties before embracing Christianity and ditching his career. The catalog gets cherry-picked here for a killer party mix that combines Fela Kuti's extended-groove trance states and soulman call-and-response vocals with old-school drum machines and synths. And songs like "Why Go to War" and "Atomic Bomb" suggest he's probably still a hell of a preacher.
Who Is William Onyeabor?
- Who Is William Onyeabor?
- William Onyeabor
- Luaka Bop
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Green Day Thank Vans, Fans, Rock & Roll at Hall of Fame: Read the Speech
- Ringo Starr Inducted, Green Day Shine at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Read Ringo Starr's Jovial Rock Hall Acceptance Speech
- 'Ringo Nailed It': Paul McCartney Inducts Starr Into Rock Hall of Fame
- Read Miley Cyrus' Badass Hall of Fame Speech for Joan Jett
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Read Fall Out Boy's Loving Green Day Tribute at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Read Laurie Anderson's Moving Rock Hall Speech for Lou Reed