Tom Krell, the velvet voice of How to Dress Well, is at his best when he's most vulnerable. His early recordings were grief-stricken and raw; subsequent releases have expanded and refined his sound without ever quite reaching the same heights. Krell's third LP continues to elevate his R&B-inflected music into sonic clarity, though his emotions remain muddled as ever. The spare, lovely intro "2 Years On (Shame Dream)" puts his multitracked falsetto over minimal instrumentation; on "Face Again," he cries, "I don't even know what's best for me" – a concise summary of the album's themes. Krell may be preoccupied with his failure to change, but this record makes it clear he's working on it.
What Is This Heart?
- What Is This Heart?
- How to Dress Well
- Weird World
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked5 Iconic Songs Despised by the People Who Created Them
SalonThe 20 Most Underrated Albums Of All Time
Cracked7 Musicians Whose Trademark Looks Were Hiding Something
Mental Floss15 Famous Songs With Misunderstood Meanings
Cinema Blend20 Misconceptions About Sex
- Rolling Stones Kick Off 'Zip Code' Tour With Rock-Solid San Diego Show
- Flashback: 'Batman' Battles 'Gilligan's Island' on 'Family Feud'
- Read Previously Unknown George Harrison Letter From 1966
- Art Garfunkel Lashes Out at Paul Simon in New Interview
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- 'American Ninja Warrior': How TV's Toughest Competition Became a Hit
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Smells Like Team Spirit