Tom Krell, the velvet voice of How to Dress Well, is at his best when he's most vulnerable. His early recordings were grief-stricken and raw; subsequent releases have expanded and refined his sound without ever quite reaching the same heights. Krell's third LP continues to elevate his R&B-inflected music into sonic clarity, though his emotions remain muddled as ever. The spare, lovely intro "2 Years On (Shame Dream)" puts his multitracked falsetto over minimal instrumentation; on "Face Again," he cries, "I don't even know what's best for me" – a concise summary of the album's themes. Krell may be preoccupied with his failure to change, but this record makes it clear he's working on it.
What Is This Heart?
- What Is This Heart?
- How to Dress Well
- Weird World
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Men's Journal9 Traits That Attract Women
- Meek Mill Fires Back at Drake With 'Wanna Know'
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Tom Brady: Sympathy for the Devil
- Eminem Reveals How Drug Use Led to Weight Gain, Recovery
- 'Game of Thrones' Will Have Eighth Season, Promises HBO Exec
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Meek Mill's Drake Diss 'Is Trash': Sports World Reacts to 'Wanna Know'
- Country Legend Lynn Anderson Dead at 67
- Dr. Dre's 'Detox': A Timeline of Hip-Hop's Great Unfinished Album