Tom Krell, the velvet voice of How to Dress Well, is at his best when he's most vulnerable. His early recordings were grief-stricken and raw; subsequent releases have expanded and refined his sound without ever quite reaching the same heights. Krell's third LP continues to elevate his R&B-inflected music into sonic clarity, though his emotions remain muddled as ever. The spare, lovely intro "2 Years On (Shame Dream)" puts his multitracked falsetto over minimal instrumentation; on "Face Again," he cries, "I don't even know what's best for me" – a concise summary of the album's themes. Krell may be preoccupied with his failure to change, but this record makes it clear he's working on it.
What Is This Heart?
- What Is This Heart?
- How to Dress Well
- Weird World
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked6 Hit Songs That Destroyed The Bands They Made Famous
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
Mental Floss10 People Banned From SNL
MTV News6 Cringe-Worthy VMA Moments We’ll Never Forget
Diffuser10 Best Album Closing Tracks
Cracked5 Famous Bands With Backstories That Would Make Great Movies
- Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka Charged With Third-Degree Murder
- High Desert Suicide: Was a Prison Guard Hazed to Death?
- The Secrets of an NFL Locker Room
- Watch Nicki Minaj Blast Miley Cyrus During VMA Acceptance Speech
- Lana Del Rey: Vamp of Constant Sorrow
- 10 Craziest Beefs in MTV VMA History
- Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard Releases New LP as Thunderbitch
- 100 Greatest Country Songs of All Time