Tom Krell, the velvet voice of How to Dress Well, is at his best when he's most vulnerable. His early recordings were grief-stricken and raw; subsequent releases have expanded and refined his sound without ever quite reaching the same heights. Krell's third LP continues to elevate his R&B-inflected music into sonic clarity, though his emotions remain muddled as ever. The spare, lovely intro "2 Years On (Shame Dream)" puts his multitracked falsetto over minimal instrumentation; on "Face Again," he cries, "I don't even know what's best for me" – a concise summary of the album's themes. Krell may be preoccupied with his failure to change, but this record makes it clear he's working on it.
What Is This Heart?
- What Is This Heart?
- How to Dress Well
- Weird World
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Movies That Made Huge Stars Quit Acting Forever
DiffuserThe 12 Most Shocking Crimes In Rock History
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Mental Floss10 People Banned From SNL
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes (Where Nobody Has Sex)
- Breaking Benjamin Battle Mystery Illness on Painful Road to Number One
- Watch Chief Keef Salute Late Cousin in 'Ain't Missing You' Video
- Kim Kardashian Gets Real: 11 Revelations From the New Cover Story
- Hear David Bowie's Rare, Original 'Holy Holy' From 1971
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Watch Libertines Enjoy Drunken Revelry in Thailand in 'Gunga Din' Video
- See Steven Tyler's Rustic 'Love Is Your Name' Video
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time