Tom Krell, the velvet voice of How to Dress Well, is at his best when he's most vulnerable. His early recordings were grief-stricken and raw; subsequent releases have expanded and refined his sound without ever quite reaching the same heights. Krell's third LP continues to elevate his R&B-inflected music into sonic clarity, though his emotions remain muddled as ever. The spare, lovely intro "2 Years On (Shame Dream)" puts his multitracked falsetto over minimal instrumentation; on "Face Again," he cries, "I don't even know what's best for me" – a concise summary of the album's themes. Krell may be preoccupied with his failure to change, but this record makes it clear he's working on it.
What Is This Heart?
- What Is This Heart?
- How to Dress Well
- Weird World
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise
- How LSD Microdosing Became the Hot New Business Trip
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- The Republicans Are Now Officially the Party of White Paranoia
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Barely Legal: 30 Nearly Pornographic Mainstream Films
- The Beatles' 'Anthology 1' at 20: Fab Four's Finest Early Rarities