Tom Krell, the velvet voice of How to Dress Well, is at his best when he's most vulnerable. His early recordings were grief-stricken and raw; subsequent releases have expanded and refined his sound without ever quite reaching the same heights. Krell's third LP continues to elevate his R&B-inflected music into sonic clarity, though his emotions remain muddled as ever. The spare, lovely intro "2 Years On (Shame Dream)" puts his multitracked falsetto over minimal instrumentation; on "Face Again," he cries, "I don't even know what's best for me" – a concise summary of the album's themes. Krell may be preoccupied with his failure to change, but this record makes it clear he's working on it.
What Is This Heart?
- What Is This Heart?
- How to Dress Well
- Weird World
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked7 Famous Actors Who Lost Their Minds Getting Into Character
Mental Floss7 Movies That Sent People Running Out of Theaters
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
SalonThe 15 Most Hated Bands Of The Last 30 Years
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
Guitar WorldThe 30 Most Badass Guitarists of All Time
- See 'Jackass' Gang Relive 15 Years of Wild Pranks, Scary Injuries
- John Fogerty Explains Creedence Clearwater Revival's Hall of Fame Meltdown
- 'The Walking Dead': What to Know for Season 6
- Howard Stern Blasts Roger Waters Over Israel Boycott
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Bayley: NXT's Women's Champion Leads a Wrestling Revolution
- Meet the Right-Wing Rebels Who Overthrew John Boehner
- Inside Michael Jackson’s Iconic First Moonwalk Onstage