Tom Krell, the velvet voice of How to Dress Well, is at his best when he's most vulnerable. His early recordings were grief-stricken and raw; subsequent releases have expanded and refined his sound without ever quite reaching the same heights. Krell's third LP continues to elevate his R&B-inflected music into sonic clarity, though his emotions remain muddled as ever. The spare, lovely intro "2 Years On (Shame Dream)" puts his multitracked falsetto over minimal instrumentation; on "Face Again," he cries, "I don't even know what's best for me" – a concise summary of the album's themes. Krell may be preoccupied with his failure to change, but this record makes it clear he's working on it.
What Is This Heart?
- What Is This Heart?
- How to Dress Well
- Weird World
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- 'Saturday Night Live': All 141 Cast Members Ranked
- Barely Legal: 30 Nearly Pornographic Mainstream Films
- 50 Cent Arrested for Profanity-Laced Concert in St. Kitts
- Kanye West Unveils Provocative, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video
- Watch Adele Perform 'Someone Like You' at Glastonbury
- How the 'Warcraft' Movie Failed
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- Brexit Offers Lesson in the Danger of Protest Votes