A hot new guitar band from the British Isles? There's something you don't hear every day, or every year. It's been a chilly minute since the U.K. has given up anything like these indie Welsh kids from Cardiff, barely out of their teens. Yet they plug in and play their hearts out on their debut album, with twin-guitar fuzz-pop gems like "Secret Surprise" and "Wussy Void." Joanna Gruesome honor the cardigans-and-beer tradition – onstage they turn Galaxie 500's "Tugboat" into a psychedelic slow jam. But despite the cheeky gag of their band name, they're deceptively tough stuff. Alanna McArdle coos like she can't decide whether to toss you off the balcony or order you room service.
- Weird Sister
- Joanna Gruesome
From The Archives Issue 1196: November 21, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
DiffuserThe 10 Nastiest Feuds In Alternative Music
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Guitar WorldThe Beatles' 10 Greatest Guitar Moments
SalonThe 20 Most Underrated Albums Of All Time
Mental Floss11 Famous Actors Who Apologized for Their Own Movies
TestTubeHow Long Should Sex Last?
- Rupert Murdoch Is Deviant Scum
- 50 Greatest Hair Metal Albums of All Time
- The Billion View Club: YouTube's 10 Most Watched Videos
- Inside the Koch Brothers' Toxic Empire
- Hear Pharrell's Sultry Remix of A Tribe Called Quest's 'Bonita Applebum'
- 5 Reasons Why Neil Young's Current Tour Is One of His Best in Decades
- 10 Things We Learned From Elvis Costello's Brilliant New Memoir
- Inside Motley Crue's Live Excess: From Roller Coaster Drums to Fire-Spitting Bass