A hot new guitar band from the British Isles? There's something you don't hear every day, or every year. It's been a chilly minute since the U.K. has given up anything like these indie Welsh kids from Cardiff, barely out of their teens. Yet they plug in and play their hearts out on their debut album, with twin-guitar fuzz-pop gems like "Secret Surprise" and "Wussy Void." Joanna Gruesome honor the cardigans-and-beer tradition – onstage they turn Galaxie 500's "Tugboat" into a psychedelic slow jam. But despite the cheeky gag of their band name, they're deceptively tough stuff. Alanna McArdle coos like she can't decide whether to toss you off the balcony or order you room service.
- Weird Sister
- Joanna Gruesome
From The Archives Issue 1196: November 21, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Jimmy Carter: U.S. Is an 'Oligarchy With Unlimited Political Bribery'
- 'True Detective' Recap: Burning Down the House
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Eminem Reveals How Drug Use Led to Weight Gain, Recovery
- Foo Fighters Promise to Visit Italian Town After Viral Video
- Dr. Dre Details Long-Awaited 'Compton: A Soundtrack'
- Ronda Rousey: The World's Most Dangerous Woman