A hot new guitar band from the British Isles? There's something you don't hear every day, or every year. It's been a chilly minute since the U.K. has given up anything like these indie Welsh kids from Cardiff, barely out of their teens. Yet they plug in and play their hearts out on their debut album, with twin-guitar fuzz-pop gems like "Secret Surprise" and "Wussy Void." Joanna Gruesome honor the cardigans-and-beer tradition – onstage they turn Galaxie 500's "Tugboat" into a psychedelic slow jam. But despite the cheeky gag of their band name, they're deceptively tough stuff. Alanna McArdle coos like she can't decide whether to toss you off the balcony or order you room service.
- Weird Sister
- Joanna Gruesome
From The Archives Issue 1196: November 21, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Alice Cooper on His Dinner With David Bowie and Ray Bradbury
- Beyonce's Black Southern 'Formation'
- 25 Musicians 'Feeling the Bern' for Bernie Sanders
- Super Bowl 50 Commercials: The Best and Worst From the Big Game
- Dead & Company Announce Summer Tour
- Coldplay's Chris Martin Gets Personal: Inside the New Issue