The most revelatory of a three-volume survey of Sun Records (see also Blues Box and Rock Box), this six-CD set comes via Germany's Bear Family, which has arguably done more to preserve country-music history than any U.S. label. As detailed in the set's 148-page book, Sam Phillips launched Sun with country as well as blues. And while Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins show up here, less-famous labelmates started their own fires by rubbing blues and country together in different ways. Hank Williams and Bob Wills loom on sides by Slim Rhodes, while dazzling singers like Charlie Feathers and Warren Smith highlight the hillbilly in their rockabilly. "Split Personality," by Smokey Joe Baugh and Bill Taylor, could be the collection's theme song – a racially confounding mix that distilled the nation's soul into a seven-inch 45.
The Sun Country Box
- The Sun Country Box
- Various Artists
- Bear Family
From The Archives Issue 1183: May 23, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Men's Journal9 Traits That Attract Women
- Watch Bruce Springsteen's Surprise Performance With U2
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- Meek Mill's Drake Diss 'Is Trash': Sports World Reacts to 'Wanna Know'
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Tom Brady: Sympathy for the Devil