The most revelatory of a three-volume survey of Sun Records (see also Blues Box and Rock Box), this six-CD set comes via Germany's Bear Family, which has arguably done more to preserve country-music history than any U.S. label. As detailed in the set's 148-page book, Sam Phillips launched Sun with country as well as blues. And while Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins show up here, less-famous labelmates started their own fires by rubbing blues and country together in different ways. Hank Williams and Bob Wills loom on sides by Slim Rhodes, while dazzling singers like Charlie Feathers and Warren Smith highlight the hillbilly in their rockabilly. "Split Personality," by Smokey Joe Baugh and Bill Taylor, could be the collection's theme song – a racially confounding mix that distilled the nation's soul into a seven-inch 45.
The Sun Country Box
- The Sun Country Box
- Various Artists
- Bear Family
From The Archives Issue 1183: May 23, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Ace Frehley Announces New LP, 'White Room' Cover, Paul Stanley Reunion
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- 25 Worst Original Names of Famous Bands
- Eagles Members, Jackson Browne Uniting for Glenn Frey Grammy Tribute
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- 100 Greatest Guitarists