Snow Patrol's Gary Lightbody calls this collaborative side project, which includes R.E.M.'s Peter Buck, a "twisted love letter to the States" — a very Bono-ish phrase, especially coming from an Irishman given to sweeping visions. But Lightbody works vague elegance, not rootsy specificity, and this mainly sounds like a folky spin on Snow Patrol's forlorn Coldplay-ish alt-rock, not an attempt to put on Delta wading boots. Zooey Deschanel sweetens up the distortion-darkened torch ballad "Get on the Road," the guy from the Editors sings some Nick Cave-ish gothy-tonk, and Buck's banjo and mandolin evoke early-Nineties R.E.M. at their prettiest, which is about as "Southern" as this polite, aimless record really needs to be.
The Place We Ran From
- The Place We Ran From
- Tired Pony
- Mom + Pop
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportThe Worst Picks in NFL Draft History
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
Cracked28 Great Movie Moments Created By Ignoring The Script
Men's Journal10 Sexual Hygiene Tips for Better Sex
Cinema BlendTop 10 Grossest TV Moments
- George Clinton: Doctor Atomic
- DaveWatch: Countdown to Letterman's Last 'Late Show,' Day 19
- 11 Things We Learned From Bruce Jenner's Coming Out Interview
- Tatiana Maslany on That Emmys Snub and Playing Nine Roles on 'Orphan Black'
- Watch Jason Isbell Pay Tribute to Warren Zevon on 'Letterman'
- Hear Pete Townshend's Orchestral Remake of the Who's 'Love, Reign O'er Me'
- 'Mad Men' Recap: End Times
- Rolling Stone and UVA: The Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism Report