After a lifetime of making graceful music out of turmoil, British singer-songwriter Richard Thompson's taut, literary folk pop is as odd and pleasing as ever. The Old Kit Bag, his twenty-fifth album, is chimerical rock girded by Thompson's stringed arsenal — dulcimer, mandolin, harmonium. But the soul of the music is death-haunted folk, and Thompson's own resiliency: The Old Kit Bag is a travelogue of a damaged heart, breezing lightly in "I'll Tag Along," leaping up for the Celtic dance "One Door Opens," angrily questioning on "Outside of the Inside." Thompson is saved from pretentiousness by how honestly he comes by his mannered delivery, how effortfully the heaving rhythms push into each measure and how every simple revelation sounds hard-earned.
The Old Kit Bag
- The Old Kit Bag
- Richard Thompson
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Men's Journal9 Traits That Attract Women
- Watch Bruce Springsteen's Surprise Performance With U2
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Watch Lauryn Hill's Show-Stopping 'Feeling Good' on 'Tonight Show'
- Derek Zoolander Can't Grasp Movie Title in Hilarious 'Zoolander 2' Teaser
- Tom Brady: Sympathy for the Devil
- Meek Mill Fires Back at Drake With 'Wanna Know'
- Watch Paul McCartney Perform 'Get Back' With Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard