The title track of the New Pornographers' latest is a sugar-water tidal wave of "oohoohs," "ba-ba-ba-boos," synth twinkles and dub shimmers – a fitting opener for an LP whose name suggests pop artisans on steroids. Leader A.C. Newman claims this exuberant, synthpop-infused set is "a celebration record." But soon, cohort Dan Bejar is dreaming of a drowning woman in his world-weary Anglophile drawl on the Morrissey-esque apocalypse paean "War on the East Coast." And so goes another all-star indie-rock Pornos cage match, with Neko Case, per usual, nearly stealing the show ("Marching Orders"). Final score: a dark, frothy stalemate.
- Brill Bruisers
- The New Pornographers
From The Archives Issue 1217: September 11, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce and Bruno Mars Rock Super Bowl 50 Halftime
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Watch Lady Gaga Sing Stirring National Anthem at Super Bowl 50
- The Vampire Squid Tells Us How to Vote
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Larry David on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See