For a band built on dance music's in-the-moment bliss, there's an unseemly sadness about this document of LCD Soundsystem's 2011 farewell gig in New York. At least the DVD doc Shut Up and Play the Hits lets you see the revelry. Yet the sound, cleaned up beautifully, is way better than most fans heard in Madison Square Garden – and when the choir blows in on the mission statement "Dance Yrself Clean," it sounds like a revival meeting, albeit less Baptist than the Sacred Church of Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy). By the time James Murphy drops the wistful "All My Friends," you may find yourself frugging away the tears.
The Long Goodbye: Live at Madison Square Garden
- The Long Goodbye: Live at Madison Square Garden
- LCD Soundsystem
- Warner Bros.
From The Archives Issue 1210: June 5, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
Cinema Blend10 Big Things We Learned On The Set Of Amy Schumer's Trainwreck
Salon8 Game of Thrones Stars You Didn’t Know Had Music Careers
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
- Mayweather Defeats Pacquiao, KOs Pay-Per-View Providers
- Roger Waters Slams Silicon Valley's 'Rogues and Thieves'
- Scarlett Johansson on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- Give 'Em Hell, Bernie
- Watch Trey Anastasio and Phil Lesh Play 'Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad'
- Grooveshark Shuts Down After Eight Years
- Wiz Khalifa Brings Misty 'See You Again' to 'SNL'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Love the Fight, Not the Fighters