Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' only previous live album, 1986's Pack Up the Plantation, was a stone bore: The note-for-note versions of "Refugee" and "American Girl" didn't come close to capturing the excitement of a Petty show. The Live Anthology redresses that wrong with a panoramic picture of the Heartbreakers' indestructible groove. Powerhouse versions of "Even the Losers" and "Here Comes My Girl" — stretching from as far back as 1980 — show off the band's muscular snap. Guitarist Mike Campbell chimes his way through "The Waiting," gives a Keith Richards twang to "Louisiana Rain," and with keyboardist Benmont Tench helps prop up weaker songs like "My Life/Your World." But it's the covers that make this four-disc collection interesting to more than Petty completists: The Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil" gets a down-home charge; "Diddy Wah Diddy" is a slinky winner; grooving instrumentals like Booker T. and the MG's' "Green Onions" and the James Bond Goldfinger theme (from a 1997 Fillmore show) display the band's range; and a hungry take on Fleetwood Mac's blues-era "Oh Well" (from the 2006 Bonnaroo festival) show the Heartbreakers' roots. And if you are a Petty completist, you'll have a wealth of choices: The collection comes in four other configurations, including a massive deluxe edition, which adds a fifth disc of music, two DVDs (a documentary and late-Seventies concert) and other fanboy bonuses.
The Live Anthology
- The Live Anthology
- Tom Petty
- Warner Bros.
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mic14 Recent Pop Songs That Are Basically the Same Song
DiffuserThe Strangest Deaths In Rock History
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Mental Floss10 Artists Who Hated Their Biggest Hit
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back Freestyle'
- 'Kids': The Oral History of the Most Controversial Film of the Nineties
- In the Age of Trump, Will Democrats Sell Out More, Or Less?
- Kim Kardashian: American Woman
- Dave Grohl, Reed Mullin Explain Punk Supergroup Teenage Time Killers
- Jimmy Page Wraps Led Zeppelin Reissues With a Bang
- Ronda Rousey Wants to Punish Bethe Correia: 'I Don't Like This Chick'