It's always been there under the New Jersey grit, but this band fully unleashes its inner Who on its fifth studio album. "So what you wanna say is/My head is a hurricane?" singer-guitarist Brian Fallon howls in "Rollin' and Tumblin'," sounding like the '73 Roger Daltrey, with the cutting, lyric awareness of Pete Townshend. Made with Arctic Monkeys producer Mike Crossey, Get Hurt is a fresh, anthemic striving – further from E Street, driven by epic metal guitars. But Fallon's race for bond and relief through the pills and trial in "Stray Paper" and "Helter Skeleton" stays grounded in unshaken faith. "I still love rock & roll," he sings in "Stay Vicious," "and I still call somebody 'baby.'"
- Get Hurt
- The Gaslight Anthem
From The Archives Issue 1215: August 14, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Ace Frehley Announces New LP, 'White Room' Cover, Paul Stanley Reunion
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Anti-Beyonce Protesters Planning Rally Outside NFL Offices
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- Rick Rubin: My Life in 21 Songs
- Is the Oregon Occupation Over? WTF Just Happened, Explained
- 100 Greatest Guitarists