A greatest-hits collection that lives up to its title: lots of the fun mid-Eighties stuff, not much else back in 1984, most people handicapping downtown New York's new divas picked Madonna as the flash in the pan and Cyndi Lauper as the future superstar. Lauper, you may recall, was the one with the rainbow-hued hair, the big voice that sometimes sounded like it was mimicking a car alarm, the irresistible single about masturbation ("She Bop") and the six-time-platinum debut album (She's So Unusual). Then, for no apparent reason, Lauper decided she needed to become tasteful. In practice, this meant recording lots of pleasant but dull ballads, some of which even became big hits ("True Colors"). This well-assembled disc emphasizes the fun parts of Lauper's career: That means six of the fourteen tracks come from She's So Unusual; you'll also find her gloriously tacky soundtrack single "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough."
The Essential Cyndi Lauper
- The Essential Cyndi Lauper
- Cyndi Lauper
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Ace Frehley Announces New LP, 'White Room' Cover, Paul Stanley Reunion
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- Anti-Beyonce Protesters Planning Rally Outside NFL Offices
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Watch Johnny Depp Star in Funny or Die's Donald Trump Biopic
- Eagles Members, Jackson Browne Uniting for Glenn Frey Grammy Tribute