When a rapper's cd booklet includes plugs for his upcoming movies instead of for his other albums, you have every right to suspect that he has put his music career on the back turntable. But on the eleventh record of his amazingly consistent twenty-year career, LL Cool J has as much swaggering presence as ever. His greatest subject matter is himself: "No need for ghostwriters/Every year I get tighter." And if none of the tracks here have the macho menace of his 2003 appearance on J. Lo's Number One "All I Have," he sounds completely up-to-date, thanks largely to Timbaland producing half of The DEFinition. There's nothing new about a track such as "Apple Cobbler" — the bloopity beats sound like any number of Missy Elliott tunes, and LL's lascivious food metaphors date back to his 1990 track "Milky Cereal" — but the Cool J candy is as tasty as ever.
- The DEFinition
- LL Cool J
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Ace Frehley Announces New LP, 'White Room' Cover, Paul Stanley Reunion
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Talks Combating Racism in Metal
- Anti-Beyonce Protesters Planning Rally Outside NFL Offices
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- 25 Worst Original Names of Famous Bands
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- Eagles Members, Jackson Browne Uniting for Glenn Frey Grammy Tribute