The Both are a singer-songwriter collaboration that sound precisely like you'd hope. New Wave heartthrob and master songcrafter Aimee Mann gets welcome vocal and guitar snarl from Ted Leo, a post-punk heartthrob in his own right whose unfussy attack benefi ts from Mann's melodic and harmonic touch. Anyone following their aesthetic courtship on Twitter could've predicted the lyrical sparks. Alongside a tight, contrite cover of Thin Lizzy's "Honesty Is No Excuse" is the gently apocalyptic "Hummingbird" ("They're marching on Monsanto") and the Beatlesque "The Inevitable Shove," which casts a jaded eye on familial love. Hey, whaddya expect from a pair of hopeless indie-rock realists?
- The Both
- The Both
From The Archives Issue 1208: May 8, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Conservative Heads Explode Over Kentucky's Bigoted County Clerk
- Keith Richards: Rap Is for 'Tone-Deaf People'
- How Coheed and Cambria Broke Concept-Album Streak on New LP
- Alice Cooper and Joe Perry on Hollywood Vampires' Drunk History
- Black Sabbath Announce Final Tour 'The End'
- Watch Justin Bieber, Questlove Battle in Drum-Off Rematch on 'Fallon'
- Watch Slayer and Danny Trejo Film Gore-Drenched Video at L.A. Prison
- Tom Brady Is Free, and Roger Goodell Is Screwed