Certainly no one can accuse Funkadelic of taking themselves too seriously. Here they've come up with a record that seems to be the initial mating of Afro-funk and LSD! The off handed spaciness that was so much a part of the early Hendrix records runs rampant through this disc, with numbers like "Alice in My Fantasies" and the lengthy "Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts" heavily dependent on ethereal guitar lines and tape effects to elicit a latterday Axis: Bold as Love air. Other numbers — particularly "Sexy Ways" and the title cut — demonstrate that Funkadelic's famed juggernaut approach to boogie-funk will still bowl over even the most recalcitrant audience. While not nearly as cosmic as it pretends to be, Standing on the Verge of Getting It On at least shows a backhanded sense of humor.
Standing on the Verge of Getting It On
- Standing on the Verge of Getting It On
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- 'Super Troopers 2' Officially a Go After Crowdfunding $4.4 Million
- 5 Things We Learned From 2015 White House Correspondents' Dinner
- 11 Things We Learned From Bruce Jenner's Coming Out Interview
- Jay Z Defends Tidal: 'We Are Here for the Long Haul'
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- Native American Actors Defend Adam Sandler's 'Ridiculous 6'
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Rolling Stone and UVA: The Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism Report