Jimmy Buffett's 31st album is full of chill evocations of island life, from "Einstein Was a Surfer" to "Somethin' 'Bout a Boat." His music is an island, too – a place apart where country, old-guy rock, jokey storytelling and Caribbean rhythms lap into one another. Buffett clearly has Wi-Fi on his boat ("Useless But Important Information" takes a shot at Twitter, and "I'm No Russian" references persecuted punks Pussy Riot). But he's most likable drifting away from the real world, as on "Too Drunk to Karaoke," a duet with Toby Keith, and "Tides," an ode to his own flip-flops-rocking leisure that could make a landlubber jealous.
Songs From St. Somewhere
- Songs From St. Somewhere
- Jimmy Buffett
From The Archives Issue 1190: August 29, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema Blend10 Great Shows That Went Way Downhill
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- Eric Clapton Celebrates 70th Birthday With All-Star New York Show
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- The Hulk: The Last Angry Man
- 'The Dance' at 25: How Garth Brooks' Weeper Became an Unlikely Hit
- West Memphis Three's Damien Echols: 'Today Was My Original Execution Date'
- Watch Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black Remake Extreme's 'More Than Words' Video