Umphrey's McGee are a veteran act steeped in prog musicianship, metal power and genre-jumping inventiveness that thinks in terms of album-length statements – in other words, a novelty act in 2014. All those elements are in play on their eighth LP, which is full of knotty Rush/King Crimson/Police-style textures and Eighties hard-rock thrust. They even try some tuneful jam-pop with the Phish-meets-Hall-and-Oates of "No Diablo." "There's no need to overthink this through," Brendan Bayliss sings on "Educated Guess," a slipstream sprawl of classical strings, drum-clinic rhythmic precision and hydra-headed guitar insanity. It's some of the zestiest overthinking you'll hear all year.
- Similar Skin
- Umphrey's McGee
- Nothing Too Fancy
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
SpinThe 50 Best Rock Bands Right Now
Mental FlossWhere Are 10 Key Players in The O.J. Simpson Trial Now?
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Watch Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' Album Livestream
- Rick Rubin: My Life in 21 Songs
- Black Lives Matter Co-Founder to Beyonce: 'Welcome to the Movement'
- The Koch Brothers' Dirty War on Solar Power
- See New Video for Jeff Buckley's Smiths Cover 'I Know It's Over'
- Bernie Sanders Unveils Moving New Ad With Eric Garner's Daughter
- Kanye West's Surreal Album Launch: Fashion and Music Collide