Whether country music tributes succeed or fail, they almost always err on the side of caution – keeping it trad even when saluting artists who mixed it up. Let's cheer Shooter Jennings, then, for an EP dedicated to the late great George Jones that surprises with synthesized twinkles and bass lines nicked from Giorgio Moroder – the Italian disco wizard Jennings has said he discovered while listening to last year's Daft Punk album. A Moroder-themed counterpart is supposed to be coming in January, but in the meantime, don't sleep on the Jennings original "Living in a Minor Key": Its arrangement is nothing fancy, but its songwriting holds up against the classic covers that follow.
Don't Wait Up (For George)
- Don't Wait Up (For George)
- Shooter Jennings
- Black Country Rock
From The Archives Issue 1215: August 14, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
MTV News19 Songs You Didn’t Know Ed Sheeran Wrote
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind The Scenes
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Diffuser21 Best Alt Rock Albums
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
- See System of a Down's Serj Tankian Perform New Political Song 'Artsakh'
- Prince: Remembering the Rock Star, Funk Lord, Provocateur, Genius
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’: Why Chris Evans Is the Anxious Avenger
- A Final Visit With Prince: Rolling Stone's Lost Cover Story
- Ted Cruz Will Die So That You May Live
- Ladies and Gentlemen, the GOP Presidential Nominee, Donald Trump
- Watch Kenny Chesney's Chaotic 'Noise' Video
- See Prince Proteges the Family Pay Tribute With New 'Nothing Compares 2 U'