It's been five years since Lily Allen's last album, a period in which the U.K. pop diva got married and had kids. But fear not – she's still the same firecracker who turned heads in the mid-'00s with eclectic, post-hip-hop tunes and bullshit-slaying lyrics. The brilliantly titled Sheezus has loads of great punch lines ("I don't give a fuck about your Instagram or your lovely house or your ugly kids," she sings on "Insincerely Yours"). But Allen also rocks a sisterly warmth: The title track deals honestly with returning to compete with artists she loves, like Gaga and Lorde: "I'm prepared/Not gonna lie, though/I'm kinda scared." Please, girl.
- Lily Allen
- Warner Bros.
From The Archives Issue 1210: June 5, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- How LSD Microdosing Became the Hot New Business Trip
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 20 Best TV Shows of 2015 So Far
- 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
- Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return
- The Republicans Are Now Officially the Party of White Paranoia