If "In the Kingdom" – an organ-driven gem off Mazzy Star's new, 17-year-wait LP – seems to echo indie darlings Beach House, it's because the sound blueprinted by these L.A. dream-pop somnambulists looms large over a new generation of reverb fanatics. That sound is now leaner and richer: Hope Sandoval's singing is less processed, more ornamented, and while David Roback still trips out on electric guitar (see "I've Gotta Stop"), he's stepped it up on his acoustic. "Spoon" features the late U.K. guitar hero Bert Jansch, and its folksy psychedelia is as beguiling as anything the band has done. It makes for the best kind of comeback: equal parts return and reinvention.
Seasons of Your Day
- Seasons of Your Day
- Mazzy Star
- Rhymes of an Hour
From The Archives Issue 1193: October 10, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- The Point of No Return: Climate Change Nightmares Are Already Here
- Keith Richards: Rap Is for 'Tone-Deaf People'
- Conservative Heads Explode Over Kentucky's Bigoted County Clerk
- Watch Slayer and Danny Trejo Film Gore-Drenched Video at L.A. Prison
- Alice Cooper and Joe Perry on Hollywood Vampires' Drunk History
- How Coheed and Cambria Broke Concept-Album Streak on New LP
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Watch Justin Bieber, Questlove Battle in Drum-Off Rematch on 'Fallon'