"Merry Go 'Round," the spectacular gut-punch single from 24-year-old Texan country singer Kacey Musgraves, dropped out of the clear blue sky in September. Same Trailer Different Park proves Musgraves is for real. Although she sings just fine, she doesn't have a powerful voice; like all Nashville bands, hers can play, but the music is careful, meticulous, midtempo. But man, can Musgraves write. The album showcases a songwriting voice you won't hear anywhere else in pop: young, female, downwardly mobile, fiercely witty. The loping "Follow Your Arrow" advocates nonconformity, pot-smoking (if you feel like it) and homosexuality (if you're so inclined). "Blowin' Smoke" is a blues-tinged short story about nicotine addiction and waiting tables in Vegas; "It Is What It Is" is the best, saddest ode to friends-with-benefits sex you'll ever hear. Musgraves' tunes are as supplely catchy as Taylor Swift's; the lyrics bite as hard as Elvis Costello's. More, please.
Same Trailer Different Park
- Same Trailer Different Park
- Kacey Musgraves
- Mercury Nashville
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Hear Slayer's Eerie New Crusher 'When the Stillness Comes'
- Black Sabbath's Bill Ward: 'I Don't Know If I'm a Member'
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Tim McGraw's Sandy Hook Show Sparks Controversy, Billy Currington Bails
- Bill Withers: The Soul Man Who Walked Away
- Campaign 2016: Hillary Clinton's Fake Populism Is a Hit
- Dave Grohl on First Foo Fighters Show: 'I Was F--king Mortified'
- Green Day Return to the Stage With Raucous, Career-Spanning Cleveland Gig