Kompakt's annual Pop Ambient comp is the venerable techno label's moody roundup of its prettiest wallpaper, a chance to show off dream-gaze clouds, barely there beats and the occasional cover. The 14th edition brings ambient music's nostalgic longing full circle: It boasts the first new music since 2000 from Wolfgang Voight's cult project Gas, whose bleary slush has long been a Kompakt touchstone. Elsewhere, German drift architect Ulf Lohmann (a staple of the comp's early years), Danish dubster Mikkel Metal and a remix of headphone-house pioneer the Bionaut all meld patient guitar plucks with thick drone fogs. Ladies and gentlemen, John Fahey is floating in space.
Pop Ambient 2014
- Pop Ambient 2014
- Various Artists
From The Archives Issue 1202: February 13, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- Music Megastars Team Up to Launch Streaming Service Tidal
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- The Children of ISIS
- Inside Scientology
- Jason Beghe: The TV Tough Guy Who Took on Scientology
- 'Better Call Saul' Recap: Brother's Keeper
- Why Hiring Trevor Noah to Host 'The Daily Show' Is a Great Idea
- Why Trevor Noah Is a Great Choice to Host 'The Daily Show'