Interpol seemed to burst from the forehead of David Bowie circa 2001, a New Wave nightmare come true: glittery goth guitars, an animal-nitrate rhythm section, Paul Banks' brilliantly idiotic poetry and the funniest gay-bullfighter fashion crimes since Bryan Ferry discovered capri pants. These days, the night-crawling New York boys are sounding a lot like R.E.M., and Our Love to Admire is their version of R.E.M.'s Fables of the Reconstruction; after an epochal debut and an aggressively electricfollow-up, here's the solid, understated third album that digs in without trying to break new ground. Some songs hit right away, like the manic "Mammoth" and the icy ballad "The Scale," where Banks snarls, "I made you, and now I take you back." But it takes some time to sort the growers ("All Fired Up," "Pace Is the Trick") from the losers ("Rest My Chemistry"). And for those of us who savor the convolutions of Banks' lyrical drivel, there's "No I in Threesome," which turns out to be not a Fall Out Boy outtake but a stomach-challengingly sincere love song ("Babe, it's time we gave something new a try"). It proves Interpol areone band that should never attempt coherence.
Our Love To Admire
- Our Love To Admire
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss8 Classic Movie Props That Were Tossed in the Trash
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Watch Metallica's 'The Night Before' Pre-Super Bowl Concert Live
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce's Colorful 'Hymn for the Weekend' Video
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Will 'Waves' Be Kanye West's First Disappointing Album?
- Zola Tells All: The Real Story Behind the Greatest Stripper Saga Ever Tweeted
- The Monkees Plot 50th Anniversary Tour, New LP 'Good Times!'