Shakira's 2001 English-language debut, Laundry Service, may have expanded the Colombian superstar's audience far beyond her Latin fan bases, but it also scrubbed her particular blend of South American pop, Middle Eastern-influenced melodies and decidedly international dance music a little too squeaky-clean. Earlier this year, Fijacion Oral, Vol. 1 reunited the gyrating beauty with her native tongue and more substantial material. Oral Fixation, Vol. 2 sustains that album's eclecticism and darker moods, but in English. "En Tus Pupilas" and "Dia Especial" have been rerecorded as, respectively, "Something" and "The Day and the Time," but the other nine cuts are more of a slightly inferior continuation than a bleached-out rehash. "Illegal" features Carlos Santana's instantly recognizable and somewhat disruptive guitar licks, but the "My Sharona"-biting riffs of "Animal City" effectively kick and snarl. Occasionally clumsy but most often clever, Shakira's English lyrics and performances still lack the confidence of her Spanish tracks, yet Oral Fixation manages to maintain the musical credibility that Fijacion Oral won back.
Oral Fixation Vol. 2
- Oral Fixation Vol. 2
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema Blend10 Great Shows That Went Way Downhill
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- 'The Dance' at 25: How Garth Brooks' Weeper Became an Unlikely Hit
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- 'The Voice' Top Six Recap: Unexpected Songs Steal the Show
- Watch Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black Remake Extreme's 'More Than Words' Video
- Eric Clapton Celebrates 70th Birthday With All-Star New York Show
- West Memphis Three's Damien Echols: 'Today Was My Original Execution Date'