This dazzling electro-psych band is two arty Brooklyn dudes who derive keyboard lines from the jumpy gait of a praying mantis and dress up in matching capes. Their buzz single "Time to Pretend" — a booming, tongue-in-bong sendup of the rock biz — sounds like a Flaming Lips outtake, with good reason: Lips producer Dave Fridmann helmed MGMT's debut disc, fluffing their glitchy daydream rock into an intergalactic odyssey. There are hints of Joy Division and Sixties nostalgia both acid-tinged and bluesy, but Oracular Spectacular's playfulness and remarkable density are best displayed on "Electric Feel," a surprising bit of funk featuring the original come-on "Ooh, girl, shock me like an electric eel."
- Oracular Spectacular
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
MTV News19 Songs You Didn’t Know Ed Sheeran Wrote
VultureEvery American Idol Finalist, Ranked From Worst to Best
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind The Scenes
Mental Floss11 Actors Who Asked For Their Characters To Be Killed Off
Diffuser21 Best Alt Rock Albums
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
- Prince: Remembering the Rock Star, Funk Lord, Provocateur, Genius
- See System of a Down's Serj Tankian Perform New Political Song 'Artsakh'
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’: Why Chris Evans Is the Anxious Avenger
- A Final Visit With Prince: Rolling Stone's Lost Cover Story
- Ted Cruz Will Die So That You May Live
- Ladies and Gentlemen, the GOP Presidential Nominee, Donald Trump
- See Prince Proteges the Family Pay Tribute With New 'Nothing Compares 2 U'
- Watch Beck's Soulful Cover of Prince's 'Raspberry Beret'