"This time, things will work out just fine," drummer Brann Dailor sings in a rare moment of sunshine during the charging second track on Mastodon's sixth headbanging LP. The mercurial metalheads have improved on the lean hard-rock pummel of 2011's The Hunter with lattices of ornate riffs and primal vocals, but those intricacies verge on being too much of a good thing over the course of the album's 11 tracks. The band sounds best when taking cheerful risks, as with the "hey-ho" chant led by female guest vocalists on "Aunt Lisa." Judging from all the Sturm und Drang, Mastodon aren't happy just when things work out fine – they're happy when they work out at all.
Once More ‘Round The Sun
- Once More ‘Round The Sun
- Warner Bros.
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal37 Things About Sex You Need to Know
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies Of All-Time According To Chris Rock
The Daily Beast7 Movies That Do BDSM Better Than ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’
Cinema Blend10 Great Movies To Watch Before Netflix Gets Rid Of Them On April 1
Salon10 Movie Stars Who Want to Be Rock Stars and Are Surprisingly Good
Men's JournalThe 101 Best Beers in America
- Prince Sued Over Judith Hill's Debut Album Download
- 'Clear' and Present Danger: Alex Gibney on His Bold Scientology Doc
- The Children of ISIS
- Coachella, Lollapalooza Festivals Ban Selfie Sticks
- Hear Brad Paisley 'Crush It' on Eric Clapton's 'Layla'
- The Rock on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- Watch George Ezra Bring the Folk to 'SNL'
- The Neverending Nightmare of Amanda Knox