"This time, things will work out just fine," drummer Brann Dailor sings in a rare moment of sunshine during the charging second track on Mastodon's sixth headbanging LP. The mercurial metalheads have improved on the lean hard-rock pummel of 2011's The Hunter with lattices of ornate riffs and primal vocals, but those intricacies verge on being too much of a good thing over the course of the album's 11 tracks. The band sounds best when taking cheerful risks, as with the "hey-ho" chant led by female guest vocalists on "Aunt Lisa." Judging from all the Sturm und Drang, Mastodon aren't happy just when things work out fine – they're happy when they work out at all.
Once More ‘Round The Sun
- Once More ‘Round The Sun
- Warner Bros.
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
DiffuserThe Strangest Deaths In Rock History
SalonThe 7 Most Offensive TV Shows Of All Time
Guitar WorldThe 10 Best Stage Names of All Time
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Drake Responds to Meek Mill With 'Charged Up' Diss Track
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Flashback: Watch Two Cut Scenes From 'Shawshank Redemption'
- Watch the Edge, Adam Clayton's Shock Performance With U2 Cover Band
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Jon Stewart Details Not-So Secret Meetings With Barack Obama
- Watch the Throne: Dave Grohl on How the Foos Saved Their Summer