"This time, things will work out just fine," drummer Brann Dailor sings in a rare moment of sunshine during the charging second track on Mastodon's sixth headbanging LP. The mercurial metalheads have improved on the lean hard-rock pummel of 2011's The Hunter with lattices of ornate riffs and primal vocals, but those intricacies verge on being too much of a good thing over the course of the album's 11 tracks. The band sounds best when taking cheerful risks, as with the "hey-ho" chant led by female guest vocalists on "Aunt Lisa." Judging from all the Sturm und Drang, Mastodon aren't happy just when things work out fine – they're happy when they work out at all.
Once More ‘Round The Sun
- Once More ‘Round The Sun
- Warner Bros.
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
Cinema Blend6 Big Questions Every Star Wars Fan Should Be Asking
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked5 Classic Songs That Were Originally Creepy as Hell
SalonTop 10 Oral Sex Scenes
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video
- Kid Cannabis: The Wild Rise and Violent Fall of a Teenage Weed Kingpin
- Bill Withers: The Soul Man Who Walked Away
- '10 Second Songs' Singer Feels Like a 'Rap God' in 40 Different Styles
- Willie Nelson: Why You Should Buy My Weed
- Rick Rubin on Wrestling and How Roddy Piper Turned the Beastie Boys Bad
- Ice Cube Talks 'Friday': ''Bye Felicia' Is Such a Throwaway Line'
- Read Laurie Anderson's Moving Rock Hall Speech for Lou Reed