"This time, things will work out just fine," drummer Brann Dailor sings in a rare moment of sunshine during the charging second track on Mastodon's sixth headbanging LP. The mercurial metalheads have improved on the lean hard-rock pummel of 2011's The Hunter with lattices of ornate riffs and primal vocals, but those intricacies verge on being too much of a good thing over the course of the album's 11 tracks. The band sounds best when taking cheerful risks, as with the "hey-ho" chant led by female guest vocalists on "Aunt Lisa." Judging from all the Sturm und Drang, Mastodon aren't happy just when things work out fine – they're happy when they work out at all.
Once More ‘Round The Sun
- Once More ‘Round The Sun
- Warner Bros.
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked6 Hit Songs That Destroyed The Bands They Made Famous
SalonSecrets Of The Female Pickup Artist
Mental Floss10 People Banned From SNL
MTV News6 Cringe-Worthy VMA Moments We’ll Never Forget
Diffuser10 Best Album Closing Tracks
Cracked5 Famous Bands With Backstories That Would Make Great Movies
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka Charged With Third-Degree Murder
- Read Kanye West's Blunt, Poignant VMA Video Vanguard Award Speech
- Lana Del Rey: Vamp of Constant Sorrow
- The Secrets of an NFL Locker Room
- Watch Nicki Minaj Blast Miley Cyrus During VMA Acceptance Speech
- Keith Richards Talks First Solo LP in 23 Years: 'Time Flies!'
- High Desert Suicide: Was a Prison Guard Hazed to Death?