The last time Common released an album, back in 2011, he got tangled up in a halfhearted beef with Drake. This time he's not making the same mistake: Nobody's Smiling, again produced by old Chi-town friend No I.D., features plenty of younger artists – check rising Cali rapper Vince Staples' blunted musings on the gospel-laced "Kingdom." More important, it has some of Com's tightest storytelling in years. If the bittersweet memory-lane stroll he takes on "Rewind That" doesn't move you even a little, you might be heartless.
- Nobody's Smiling
- ARTium/Def Jam
From The Archives Issue 1214: July 31, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- How LSD Microdosing Became the Hot New Business Trip
- UFC's Conor McGregor: 'Donald Trump Can Shut His Big Mouth'
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise
- Adele's '25' Sells Over Three Million Copies in First Week
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- The Republicans Are Now Officially the Party of White Paranoia
- Donald Trump Just Stopped Being Funny