Kelly Clarkson has said she wants My December to be like Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska, because it's daring, uncommercial,uncompromising and . . . oh, come on. It's a Kelly Clarkson album, for fuck's sake. From the hoopla, you'd figure Kelly was playing free-jazz flugelhorn through her nose after drinking Justin Guarini's blood. It's cool that she's trying to write songs, but the tunes come up seriouslys hort on choruses and heavy on the Alanis Morissette references. Her voice sags in low-energy drones like "One Minute" (feels like an hour), and "Don't Waste Your Time" (which has the album's best line: "Friend? What does that even mean?"). But "How I Feel" is the best New Wave lobster-rock goof since Cassie's "What Do U Want," and even at her tiredest, Kelly still makes you care about her — you just want to play "Since U Been Gone" for her and cheer her up.
- My December
- Kelly Clarkson
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema Blend10 Great Shows That Went Way Downhill
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- Noel Gallagher Sounds Off on Tidal, Zayn Malik and Same-Sex Marriage
- 9 Things We Learned From the Kurt Cobain Doc 'Montage of Heck'
- Watch Jimmy Fallon, Jack Black Remake Extreme's 'More Than Words' Video
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- 'The Voice' Top Six Recap: Unexpected Songs Steal the Show
- Meet the Osbournes' Other Daughter, Synth-Pop Artist ARO
- Duff McKagan Dissects 'How to Be a Man': Inside the Gritty New Ballad and Book
- AC/DC's Phil Rudd Breaks Silence on Criminal Charges: 'We All Make Mistakes'