On this most Old 97's-ish of Old 97's LPs, the hard-partying twang-punk quartet throw a 20th-birthday bash for themselves. In the tradition of boozy anniversaries, it begins with a victory speech: "Longer Than You've Been Alive" pays tribute to "20 good years of about 25," confessing, "Our jobs are all jobs/And sometimes they suck." Then it's yet another round of airtight songs celebrating life-as-sublime-train-wreck amid music that conjures the British Invasion landing in a Texas barroom. Special guest Tommy Stinson adds a shot of Replacements-style chaos to the mix, notably on "Let's Get Drunk & Get It On" – a balls-out anthem that sums up the 97's religion perfectly.
Most Messed Up
- Most Messed Up
- Old 97's
From The Archives Issue 1208: May 8, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
SpinThe 50 Best Rock Bands Right Now
Mental FlossWhere Are 10 Key Players in The O.J. Simpson Trial Now?
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Watch Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' Album Livestream
- Rick Rubin: My Life in 21 Songs
- Kanye West Blends Sacred and Profane on Startling, Gospel-Inflected New LP
- The Koch Brothers' Dirty War on Solar Power
- 15 Great Grammy Tribute Performances
- Taylor Swift: Kanye West's 'Pablo' Lyric About Me Is 'Misogynistic'
- Bernie Sanders Unveils Moving New Ad With Eric Garner's Daughter