On this most Old 97's-ish of Old 97's LPs, the hard-partying twang-punk quartet throw a 20th-birthday bash for themselves. In the tradition of boozy anniversaries, it begins with a victory speech: "Longer Than You've Been Alive" pays tribute to "20 good years of about 25," confessing, "Our jobs are all jobs/And sometimes they suck." Then it's yet another round of airtight songs celebrating life-as-sublime-train-wreck amid music that conjures the British Invasion landing in a Texas barroom. Special guest Tommy Stinson adds a shot of Replacements-style chaos to the mix, notably on "Let's Get Drunk & Get It On" – a balls-out anthem that sums up the 97's religion perfectly.
Most Messed Up
- Most Messed Up
- Old 97's
From The Archives Issue 1208: May 8, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- The Endless Fall of Suge Knight
- Grateful Dead End 50-Year Career With Moving, Magnificent Final Show
- Bill Cosby Rape Accusers Speak Out: 'The Public's Mind Will Be Blown'
- 25 Best Modern Exploitation Movies
- Andy Samberg on '7 Days in Hell,' Mockumentaries and Threeways
- Watch Dave Grohl Cover Neil Young With Pearl Jam, Blind Melon Members
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 'Star Wars' Han Solo Spinoff Signs 'Lego Movie' Directors