On this most Old 97's-ish of Old 97's LPs, the hard-partying twang-punk quartet throw a 20th-birthday bash for themselves. In the tradition of boozy anniversaries, it begins with a victory speech: "Longer Than You've Been Alive" pays tribute to "20 good years of about 25," confessing, "Our jobs are all jobs/And sometimes they suck." Then it's yet another round of airtight songs celebrating life-as-sublime-train-wreck amid music that conjures the British Invasion landing in a Texas barroom. Special guest Tommy Stinson adds a shot of Replacements-style chaos to the mix, notably on "Let's Get Drunk & Get It On" – a balls-out anthem that sums up the 97's religion perfectly.
Most Messed Up
- Most Messed Up
- Old 97's
From The Archives Issue 1208: May 8, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
The Daily Beast20 Things You Didn’t Know About Pulp Fiction
SalonThe 13 Most Cringeworthy Sex Scenes in ‘Girls’
The Daily BeastInside New York’s Most Elite Sex Party
Salon10 Songs with Hidden Drug References
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
- 10 Things We Learned From Scientology Doc 'Going Clear'
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead''s Season 5 Finale
- The Children of ISIS
- Jay Z, Kanye, Rihanna Throw Support Behind Streaming Service Tidal
- Jason Beghe: The TV Tough Guy Who Took on Scientology
- Why Hiring Trevor Noah to Host 'The Daily Show' Is a Great Idea
- Why Trevor Noah Is a Great Choice to Host 'The Daily Show'
- Inside Scientology
- 'Daily Show' Host Trevor Noah: Everything You Need to Know