"Here we go to the main course!" ad-libs Van Morrison on an extended "Caravan," one of the shaggy outtakes on this fi ve-disc unpacking of the Belfast bard's 1970 jazzy-pop masterpiece. That LP is nearly all main course, and if the numerous alternate takes here often feel incomplete without their sublime, brassy final arrangements, they compensate with intimacy – see "Into the Mystic," take 11, mainly just Morrison and acoustic guitar. The set's grail is the long-lost outtake "I Shall Sing," a Caribbean-style confection that became a signature for many (Miriam Makeba, Judy Mowatt, Art Garfunkel). Its author delivers a meaty, scatted-up reading here, alongside a ferocious early version of the soul burner "I've Been Working" (His Band and the Street Choir) and a roadhouse-piano reading of Bessie Smith's "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" – the sound of an Irish bluesman cruising at high altitude.
Moondance (Deluxe Edition)
- Moondance (Deluxe Edition)
- Van Morrison
- Van Morrison, 'Moondance (Deluxe Edition)'
From The Archives Issue 1195: November 7, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema Blend15 Incredible Facts You Didn't Know About Back To The Future
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Men's Journal12 Things Everyone Should Know About Vaginas
- Green Day Thank Vans, Fans, Rock & Roll at Hall of Fame: Read the Speech
- Read Ringo Starr's Jovial Rock Hall Acceptance Speech
- 'Ringo Nailed It': Paul McCartney Inducts Starr Into Rock Hall of Fame
- Read Miley Cyrus' Badass Hall of Fame Speech for Joan Jett
- Read Fall Out Boy's Loving Green Day Tribute at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Being Ringo: A Beatle's All-Starr Life
- Read Laurie Anderson's Moving Rock Hall Speech for Lou Reed
- Yoko Ono: Ringo Starr 'Was the Most Influential Beatle'