Prefabricated, too pretty, suspiciously well choreographed — such objections to the Backstreet Boys wither in the face of singles like the undeniable "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" and the sweet soar of "I'll Never Break Your Heart." The Boys follow up their tenfold-platinum debut with an album filled with examples of their forte: New Jack doo-wop and lyrically trivial, rhythmically insistent funk lite. Nick Carter's voice strains on "I Need You Tonight," and the blandishments of "The Perfect Fan" evaporate as the song unfolds, but prepare to pay dance-floor obeisance to "It's Gotta Be You," a blatant "Everybody" rework with the same menacing bass line and disco-funky "whoo-whoo" breaks. The ballad "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely" digs its melodic claws into your skull on the first listen — it's the swooniest blending of the five vocalists' timbres to date, and mighty pretty besides.
- Backstreet Boys
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Alice Cooper on His Dinner With David Bowie and Ray Bradbury
- 25 Musicians 'Feeling the Bern' for Bernie Sanders
- Coldplay's Chris Martin Gets Personal: Inside the New Issue
- Beyonce's Black Southern 'Formation'
- Lady Gaga Talks Super Bowl Anthem: 'I Just Sang From My Heart'
- Watch Lady Gaga Sing Stirring National Anthem at Super Bowl 50