At points on her debut album, Lungs, Florence Welch suggests she's a wild Englishwoman on par with PJ Harvey: She sets her boyfriend ablaze and cuts out a girl's eye because the bitch won't get her "filthy fingers outta my pie." Welch sets her unique ideas about romance to punk blues, Kate Bush-style mystic art rock and crazy-Celt bombast (where her voice skirts near the Cranberries' Dolores O'Riordan's). The best bits feel like being chased through a moonless night by a sexy moor witch. No wonder the tenderest moment is "My Boy Builds Coffins," where Welch warns, "One of these days he'll make one for you."
- Florence and the Machine
From The Archives Issue 1084: August 6, 2009
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
AskMenThe Top 99 Outstanding Women of 2015
Men's Journal12 Things Every Man Should Know About His Penis
The Daily BeastInside the Racy 'Sex Box' Reality Show
Men's Journal7 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook in 2015
Salon5 Mysteries We Hope the “X-Files” Reboot Will Resolve
Cinema Blend10 Great Movies To Watch Before Netflix Gets Rid Of Them On April 1
- The Neverending Nightmare of Amanda Knox
- New Tupac Music From the Vaults Headed for Release
- The Children of ISIS
- James Taylor's Mellow Rebirth: Inside 'Before This World'
- Weekend Rock Question: What's the Best Van Halen Album?
- Zayn Malik Breaks Silence Following One Direction Split
- 10 Things We Learned Spending Two Days With Bill Withers
- Sara Evans Blasts Fox's 'Last Man on Earth': 'I Was Thoroughly Disgusted'