At points on her debut album, Lungs, Florence Welch suggests she's a wild Englishwoman on par with PJ Harvey: She sets her boyfriend ablaze and cuts out a girl's eye because the bitch won't get her "filthy fingers outta my pie." Welch sets her unique ideas about romance to punk blues, Kate Bush-style mystic art rock and crazy-Celt bombast (where her voice skirts near the Cranberries' Dolores O'Riordan's). The best bits feel like being chased through a moonless night by a sexy moor witch. No wonder the tenderest moment is "My Boy Builds Coffins," where Welch warns, "One of these days he'll make one for you."
- Florence and the Machine
From The Archives Issue 1084: August 6, 2009
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Sinead O'Connor Targets Family Following Suicide Threat
- Hear Sunn O)))'s 'Bright' Drone-Metal Return LP, 'Kannon'
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead' Season 6.1
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 10 Best Movies and TV Shows to Stream in December
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Movies, Ranked Worst to Best