At points on her debut album, Lungs, Florence Welch suggests she's a wild Englishwoman on par with PJ Harvey: She sets her boyfriend ablaze and cuts out a girl's eye because the bitch won't get her "filthy fingers outta my pie." Welch sets her unique ideas about romance to punk blues, Kate Bush-style mystic art rock and crazy-Celt bombast (where her voice skirts near the Cranberries' Dolores O'Riordan's). The best bits feel like being chased through a moonless night by a sexy moor witch. No wonder the tenderest moment is "My Boy Builds Coffins," where Welch warns, "One of these days he'll make one for you."
- Florence and the Machine
From The Archives Issue 1084: August 6, 2009
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked5 Famous Movies That Were Insane Parties Behind the Scenes
Guitar WorldTop 10 Best (and Worst) Comeback Albums of All Time
Screen Rant10 Decisions That Ruined Movies
Diffuser27 Rockers Who Died at Age 27
AskMenThe 40 Best Guy Movies Of All Time
Mental Floss33 Surprising Stories Behind Famous Songs
- Are Rogue Militants Preparing for War on American Soil?
- Lewis Black on Surviving Two Decades at 'The Daily Show'
- Jon Stewart Bids Farewell to Fox News: 'Adios, Motherf---ers'
- Jimmy Fallon Plays Donald Trump, Gets Debate Advice From Obama
- 25 Best 'Daily Show' Correspondents
- Hulk Hogan Fired by WWE Over 'Racial Tirade'
- Skulls, Satan and Dave Grohl: Inside Mysterious Occult-Rock Band Ghost
- Jimmy Page on 'Coda,' Led Zep's Indian Sojourn and His Next Big Project