At points on her debut album, Lungs, Florence Welch suggests she's a wild Englishwoman on par with PJ Harvey: She sets her boyfriend ablaze and cuts out a girl's eye because the bitch won't get her "filthy fingers outta my pie." Welch sets her unique ideas about romance to punk blues, Kate Bush-style mystic art rock and crazy-Celt bombast (where her voice skirts near the Cranberries' Dolores O'Riordan's). The best bits feel like being chased through a moonless night by a sexy moor witch. No wonder the tenderest moment is "My Boy Builds Coffins," where Welch warns, "One of these days he'll make one for you."
- Florence and the Machine
From The Archives Issue 1084: August 6, 2009
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mic14 Recent Pop Songs That Are Basically the Same Song
DiffuserThe Strangest Deaths In Rock History
Guitar WorldThe 13 Creepiest Album Covers of All Time
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Mental Floss10 Artists Who Hated Their Biggest Hit
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
- Hear Drake Demolish Meek Mill on 'Back to Back' Freestyle
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation
- Drake Responds to Meek Mill With 'Charged Up' Diss Track
- Kevin Hart's Funny Business
- 'Kids': The Oral History of the Most Controversial Film of the Nineties
- Ronda Rousey Wants to Punish Bethe Correia: 'I Don't Like This Chick'
- In the Age of Trump, Will Democrats Sell Out More, Or Less?