Ne-Yo's latest is a concept album about crime-fighting "R&B superheroes," complete with a femme fatale and a thing called the Libra Scale — a device that measures the weights of money, power, fame and love. If you find that hard to follow, no matter: Just listen to the music. Ne-Yo has crafted an epic full of party songs, beatific ballads and throbbing spy-movie club music. It's lavish disco; the songs are cinematic in scope but have the unshakable hooks of great pop. If that formula sounds like a certain recently deceased R&B superhero — well, that's no coincidence. The real "concept" here is: Michael Jackson tribute album. And a damn good one.
- Libra Scale
- Island Def Jam
From The Archives Issue 1118: November 25, 2010
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked6 Hit Songs That Destroyed the Bands They Made Famous
Salon5 Secrets to Great Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
Cracked5 Movies That Made Huge Stars Quit Acting Forever
Mental Floss10 People Banned from SNL
- Grateful Dead Archivist Details Massive, New 80-Disc Box Set
- 'Game of Thrones' Recap: Dawn of the Dead
- Caitlyn Jenner on Future: 'I'm Going to Go Enjoy Life'
- John Oliver Pleads for Sepp Blatter's Ouster on 'Last Week Tonight'
- Noel Gallagher Talks One Direction, Oasis Brawls on 'James Corden'
- Hear Eminem's Hard-Hitting 'Southpaw' Song 'Phenomenal'
- Lil Boosie Gets Real: MC on Prison, Protests and 'Classic' New LP
- See Pixies Play 'Planet of Sound,' New Song 'Um Chagga Lagga'