In the DVD that accompanies this reissue, singer Shirley Horn defines what makes Miles Davis' music resonate beyond the jazz world: "He was sexy." Aside from the sexiness in that moody trumpet, Kind of Blue introduced modal jazz — a new, less restrictive method of improvising. There's freedom in Davis' disembodied trumpet on "So What"; exhilaration in Bill Evans' fluttery piano and Paul Chambers' bluesy bass on "All Blues"; even playfulness in the solos of pianist Wynton Kelly and saxophonists John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley on "Freddie Freeloader." Davis' genius on Kind of Blue was creating music that's by turns adventurous and as sweetly accessible as a pop song. The extras are what make this package essential: The DVD includes live footage as well as stories from notables like Bill Cosby, who explains that "Freddie Freeloader" was named for a real person who sneaked into jazz shows. And the extensive liner notes offer the most complete picture of how this landmark work inspired everything from the modal guitar of the Byrds' "Eight Miles High" to Meshell Ndegeocello's hauntingly beautiful voice, which is as cool as Davis' muted trumpet.
Kind of Blue: 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition Box Set
- Kind of Blue: 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition Box Set
- Miles Davis
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Anti-Beyonce Protesters Planning Rally Outside NFL Offices
- Ace Frehley Announces New LP, 'White Room' Cover, Paul Stanley Reunion
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Kanye West Announces Album's Final Title, 'The Life of Pablo,' Track List
- Is the Oregon Occupation Over? WTF Just Happened, Explained
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Rick Rubin: My Life in 21 Songs