Over 23 years, the hyperkinetic, unapologetically horny sound of New Orleans bounce has changed the world – perhaps you've heard of the word "twerk"? – and now the genre's loudest ambassador has finally made a proper debut. Though Just Be Free is a lot more polished than sample-happy Freedia singles like "Azz Everywhere!," it hits just as hard. She embraces the textures of contemporary EDM – wet snares, buzz-saw synths, the occasional triumphant trance melody – but the feel is unmistakably bounce throughout. Even the occasional rhythmic detour (the Neptunes-gone-Diplo sway of "Dangerous") is always precision-made to make you shake your rump.
Just Be Free
- Just Be Free
- Big Freedia
- Queen Diva
From The Archives Issue 1211: June 19, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
SpinThe 50 Best Rock Bands Right Now
Mental FlossWhere Are 10 Key Players in The O.J. Simpson Trial Now?
Diffuser27 of the Most Offensive Band Names Ever
Cracked5 Famous People Who Lost Everything (For Stupid Reasons)
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Watch Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' Album Livestream
- Kanye West Blends Sacred and Profane on Startling, Gospel-Inflected New LP
- Rick Rubin: My Life in 21 Songs
- 15 Great Grammy Tribute Performances
- The Koch Brothers' Dirty War on Solar Power
- Black Lives Matter Co-Founder to Beyonce: 'Welcome to the Movement'
- Taylor Swift: Kanye West's 'Pablo' Lyric About Me Is 'Misogynistic'