On his own albums and his contributions to Crazy Heart, Ryan Bingham has tried hard to be the next great Texas singer-songwriter: He has the gruff voice, moodiness and melodramatic song titles ("The Poet," "Junky Star"). But on his third disc, his lyrics come off as more cinematic than believable; the title track finds him "sleeping on the Santa Monica pier with the junkies and the stars." There are more interesting moments (the harmonica-driven "The Wandering"), but little of the depth of emotion or eye for detail you get from, say, fellow Texan Billy Joe Shaver.
Junky Star & the Dead Horses
- Junky Star & the Dead Horses
- Ryan Bingham
- Lost Highway
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Kanye West Unveils Provocative, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video
- 100 Greatest Drummers of All Time
- Barely Legal: 30 Nearly Pornographic Mainstream Films
- Guns N' Roses Thrill in Detroit With Electric Reunion Tour Opener
- 5 Hilarious WTF Courtroom Moments
- The Beatles Make History With 'All You Need Is Love': A Minute-by-Minute Breakdown
- Getting Naked on the Cover of Rolling Stone
- Why Did an Ex-Amish Family Sell Their 14-Year-Old Daughter?