J Mascis' mostly acoustic new album has all the hallmarks we've come to expect from grown-up indie rockers making solo moves (piano! country flourishes!). But while the music may be growing more mature, Mascis is forever the vulnerable, heart-shredded, yearning boy, singing about his feelings in the same beat-down, reedy falsetto he's used over two-plus decades as Dinosaur Jr.'s leader. And though he plugs in for strategic, ripping solos throughout Tied to a Star, highlights like "Wide Awake" – his perfectly paired duet with Chan Marshall, which barely breaks a whisper – show that Mascis is now as skilled at quiet as he is with loud.
Tied to a Star
- Tied to a Star
- J Mascis
- Sub Pop
From The Archives Issue 1216: August 28, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
Guitar WorldThe 30 Most Badass Guitarists of All Time
DiffuserThe 10 Nastiest Feuds In Alternative Music
Mental Floss7 Movies That Sent People Running Out of Theaters
SalonTop 11 'SNL' Political Sketches Of All Time
CrackedThe 18 Most Baffling Lines Of Dialogue In Movie History
- Keith Richards on Getting Busted, Zeppelin and Stones’ Future
- Frank Zappa's Widow Gail Zappa Dead at 70
- Vote for the 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees
- Inside the Wesleyan Molly Bust
- Watch Exhilarating Trailer for Rush's Concert Film 'R40 Live'
- Watch Ronda Rousey Threaten Ken Jeong for Spoiling 'Game of Thrones'
- Readers' Poll: 10 Acts That Should Enter the Hall of Fame in 2016
- Megyn Kelly: Fox News Didn't Want a War With Donald Trump