J Mascis' mostly acoustic new album has all the hallmarks we've come to expect from grown-up indie rockers making solo moves (piano! country flourishes!). But while the music may be growing more mature, Mascis is forever the vulnerable, heart-shredded, yearning boy, singing about his feelings in the same beat-down, reedy falsetto he's used over two-plus decades as Dinosaur Jr.'s leader. And though he plugs in for strategic, ripping solos throughout Tied to a Star, highlights like "Wide Awake" – his perfectly paired duet with Chan Marshall, which barely breaks a whisper – show that Mascis is now as skilled at quiet as he is with loud.
Tied to a Star
- Tied to a Star
- J Mascis
- Sub Pop
From The Archives Issue 1216: August 28, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Screen Rant5 Movies That Killed Actors’ Careers
DiffuserThe Strangest Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss15 Famous Songs With Misunderstood Meanings
Cracked7 Musicians Whose Trademark Looks Were Hiding Something
Mental Floss10 Artists Who Hated Their Biggest Hit
Diffuser10 Cover Songs Better Than The Originals
- Watch Tom Cruise Channel Meat Loaf, the Weeknd in 'Lip Sync Battle'
- In the Age of Trump, Will Democrats Sell Out More, Or Less?
- Up in the Air: Meet the Man Who Flies Around the World for Free
- Puscifer Announce New Album, Premiere Epic 'Grand Canyon' Song and Video
- Kim Kardashian: American Woman
- 'Kids': The Oral History of the Most Controversial Film of the Nineties
- Ta-Nehisi Coates on Race, Hip-Hop and Being Praised by Toni Morrison
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time