This live in-studio set remakes highlights from 2011’s excellent The Whole Love, a homespun survey of Wilco’s avant-garage skill set. Changes are subtle – guitar noise is rearranged on "Dawned on Me," strings are dialed back on"Black Moon" – and sometimes barely discernible. More illuminating are the revisions of two older songs. Ten years and two long wars later, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’s "War on War" is more grizzled, with guitar convulsions trumping synth convulsions, and A.M.’s “Passenger Side” sounds like a post-rehab honky-tonk cautionary tale. A cover of Nick Lowe’s "Cruel to Be Kind," with the songwriter himself handling lead vocals, also sticks close to the original. No wheels reinvented here, but they all roll pretty good.
- iTunes Session
From The Archives Issue 1150: February 16, 2012
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss8 Classic Movie Props That Were Tossed in the Trash
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce's Colorful 'Hymn for the Weekend' Video
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Cover David Bowie at Bernie Sanders Fundraiser
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Zola Tells All: The Real Story Behind the Greatest Stripper Saga Ever Tweeted
- Flea: Why I Support Bernie Sanders
- The Monkees Plot 50th Anniversary Tour, New LP 'Good Times!'