This live in-studio set remakes highlights from 2011’s excellent The Whole Love, a homespun survey of Wilco’s avant-garage skill set. Changes are subtle – guitar noise is rearranged on "Dawned on Me," strings are dialed back on"Black Moon" – and sometimes barely discernible. More illuminating are the revisions of two older songs. Ten years and two long wars later, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’s "War on War" is more grizzled, with guitar convulsions trumping synth convulsions, and A.M.’s “Passenger Side” sounds like a post-rehab honky-tonk cautionary tale. A cover of Nick Lowe’s "Cruel to Be Kind," with the songwriter himself handling lead vocals, also sticks close to the original. No wheels reinvented here, but they all roll pretty good.
- iTunes Session
From The Archives Issue 1150: February 16, 2012
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonBehind-The-Scenes Secrets Of Comedy’s ’90s Glory Days
Mental Floss10 Messages Hidden in the Background of Movies and TV Shows
DiffuserThe 10 Nastiest Feuds In Alternative Music
Guitar WorldThe 30 Most Badass Guitarists of All Time
Cracked6 Hit Songs That Destroyed The Bands They Made Famous
TestTubeThe Best Sex Positions
- Watch Adele, Fallon, Roots Sing 'Hello' With Classroom Instruments
- 50 Wildest Guns N' Roses Moments
- Watch Adele Perform Smoky '25' Ballad 'Million Years Ago'
- Tips for Dealing With Fake 'Racist Uncle' Think Pieces This Thanksgiving
- Queen's Tragic Rhapsody
- Watch Justin Bieber Sing in the Rain During 2015 AMAs Finale
- The Inside Story of David Bowie's Stunning New Album, 'Blackstar'
- UFC's Conor McGregor: 'Donald Trump Can Shut His Big Mouth'