This live in-studio set remakes highlights from 2011’s excellent The Whole Love, a homespun survey of Wilco’s avant-garage skill set. Changes are subtle – guitar noise is rearranged on "Dawned on Me," strings are dialed back on"Black Moon" – and sometimes barely discernible. More illuminating are the revisions of two older songs. Ten years and two long wars later, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’s "War on War" is more grizzled, with guitar convulsions trumping synth convulsions, and A.M.’s “Passenger Side” sounds like a post-rehab honky-tonk cautionary tale. A cover of Nick Lowe’s "Cruel to Be Kind," with the songwriter himself handling lead vocals, also sticks close to the original. No wheels reinvented here, but they all roll pretty good.
- iTunes Session
From The Archives Issue 1150: February 16, 2012
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- Watch Terry Crews Punch Out Mike Tyson on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart Debate Superman vs. Batman
- Secrets of 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': Joss Whedon Tells All
- Motley Crue on Rock Hall Chances and Why Bands Need Retirement Contracts
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- 10 Things We Learned From Johnny Rotten's 'Uncensored' New Memoir
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video