This live in-studio set remakes highlights from 2011’s excellent The Whole Love, a homespun survey of Wilco’s avant-garage skill set. Changes are subtle – guitar noise is rearranged on "Dawned on Me," strings are dialed back on"Black Moon" – and sometimes barely discernible. More illuminating are the revisions of two older songs. Ten years and two long wars later, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’s "War on War" is more grizzled, with guitar convulsions trumping synth convulsions, and A.M.’s “Passenger Side” sounds like a post-rehab honky-tonk cautionary tale. A cover of Nick Lowe’s "Cruel to Be Kind," with the songwriter himself handling lead vocals, also sticks close to the original. No wheels reinvented here, but they all roll pretty good.
- iTunes Session
From The Archives Issue 1150: February 16, 2012
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
Cracked5 Iconic Songs Despised by the People Who Created Them
SalonThe 20 Most Underrated Albums Of All Time
Cracked7 Musicians Whose Trademark Looks Were Hiding Something
Mental Floss15 Famous Songs With Misunderstood Meanings
Cinema Blend20 Misconceptions About Sex
- Watch Coldplay Adapt 'Game of Thrones' Into Ridiculous Musical
- Dave Matthews on Summer Tour: 'We're Trying Not to Suck'
- Hear Drake and Beyonce Ask 'Can I' on Leaked Song
- Inside U2's 'Innocence' Spectacle: A Backstage Q&A With Bono and Edge
- Thanks Dave: The Genius of Letterman's 'Late Show' Goodbye
- Bill Wyman Returns Solo After 33 Years: 'I Thought, What the Hell'
- Flashback: See Dolly Parton's Heavenly Collaboration on 'Sweetest Gift'
- 6 Craziest Things We Saw Inside 'Red Nose Day'