Is I Learned the Hard Way a record or a museum exhibit? On the fourth album by Brooklyn's leading soul revivalists, the details are period-perfect: Every guitar scratch and brass blast sounds like it was teleported straight from 1965 or 1972. The Dap-Kings survey doo-wop ("Mama Don't Like My Man"), Philadelphia soul ("The Game Gets Old") and, most often, the thumping Stax/Volt sounds. Sharon Jones sings with force and feeling, but there's only so much she can do to breathe life into music so in thrall to the past. Call the Dap-Kings a band if you want — they're really connoisseurs.
I Learned The Hard Way
- I Learned The Hard Way
- Sharon Jones
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- Watch Terry Crews Punch Out Mike Tyson on 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Watch Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jon Stewart Debate Superman vs. Batman
- Secrets of 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': Joss Whedon Tells All
- Motley Crue on Rock Hall Chances and Why Bands Need Retirement Contracts
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- Waka Flocka Flame for President: Watch His Exclusive Campaign Video
- DaveWatch: Countdown to Letterman's Last 'Late Show,' Day 20
- 10 Things We Learned From Johnny Rotten's 'Uncensored' New Memoir