Austra's new EP is the sound of an act that's defined by its singer being left to its own devices. The single "Habitat" is up there with the Canadian electronic trio's catchiest tunes to date, as Katie Stelmanis' voice takes on a more soulful tone than usual on a cascade of sticky hooks. The rest of the EP is mostly instrumental, freeing the band from pop limitations. Highlight "Bass Drum Dance" mixes sounds that evoke a fog-shrouded dance floor – perhaps influenced by the band's Maya Postepski, a rising producer and DJ. The best thing about Habitat is how much less seriously Austra seem to be taking themselves than they often have. It's a promising sign for their future.
From The Archives Issue 1212: July 3, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Sinead O'Connor Targets Family Following Suicide Threat
- Hear Sunn O)))'s 'Bright' Drone-Metal Return LP, 'Kannon'
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- 5 Things We Learned From 'Walking Dead' Season 6.1
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- 10 Best Movies and TV Shows to Stream in December
- Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole Trade Beats for 'Black Friday' Surprise
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Movies, Ranked Worst to Best