"I cop this attitude all the time" intones Stefan Burnett (a.k.a MC Ride) with irony on "Birds" – a song that, no surprise, is more about raised middle fingers than ornithology. It's the closest thing to a ballad on the latest samizdat album by the West Coast avant-punk rap ranters, easily the group's most mercurial record yet. "Feels Like A Wheel" is bad-trip club music, all razored verbiage over whiplash beats; "Whatever I Want (Fuck Who's Watching)" is six minutes of extreme EDM no-fuck-giving. Still, Government Plates is a rap record, albeit one whose abstracted fury and next-level formalism make Kanye's Yeezus sound kind of quaint. So what's MC Ride pissed off about now? To quote Marlon Brando, "Whaddaya got?"
- Government Plates
- Death Grips
From The Archives Issue 1200: January 16, 2014
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
SalonThe 19 Greatest Double Entendre Songs
VultureAll 169 Seinfeld Episodes, Ranked from Worst to Best
Guitar WorldThe 20 Best Rock Guitar Intros of All Time
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
Cracked7 Insane Things TV Shows Did When They Ran Out Of Money
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Watch Lady Gaga Sing Stirring National Anthem at Super Bowl 50
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- Watch Coldplay, Beyonce and Bruno Mars Rock Super Bowl 50 Halftime
- The Vampire Squid Tells Us How to Vote
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- Larry David on 'SNL': 3 Sketches You Have to See
- See Larry David's 'Bern Your Enthusiasm' 'SNL' Parody