A DJ's job is to throw a party, and that's what DJ-turned-It-producer Diplo does with his reggae-centric side project. The guest list is crazy: "You're No Good" mashes up Santigold, R&B folkie Danielle Haim, Brit soul newbie Yasmin and dancehall don Vybz Kartel; "Get Free" wraps Amber Coffman of Dirty Projectors in a lover's rock groove; "Jessica" finds Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig in a stoner-dub haze, pining in German. It's less strictly Jamaican than Major Lazer's debut, connecting reggae's often-insular tradition to a wider world. That may not impress those who find Diplo's culture-jumping suspect. But it makes for rich fusion, and a hell of a party.
Free the Universe
- Free the Universe
- Major Lazer
- Mad Decent
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
- Leonardo DiCaprio's Movies, Ranked Worst to Best
- The Oral History of the 'Wayne’s World' 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Scene
- 17 Things You Learn Hanging Out With Adele
- America Is Too Dumb for TV News
- George Lucas Explains Controversial Greedo–Han Solo 'Star Wars' Edit
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time
- Hear Sunn O)))'s 'Bright' Drone-Metal Return LP, 'Kannon'
- Acid Tests Turn 50: Wavy Gravy, Merry Prankster Ken Babbs Look Back