'Head spinning, mouth open,' sings tonsured Englishman David Gray on the tipsy 'Only the Wine,' the lead track of his handsomely tousled ninth LP. It's a promising start from a guy whose tastefulness too often trumps the spirit of experimentation that distinguishes him from his soft-rock peers. Better yet is the hypnotic title cut, all harmonium drone and splintered groove, and 'When I Was in Your Heart,' riding an unnerving, clipped acoustic-guitar loop and declaring 'the Saviour put a bullet/Right through his brains.' The rest are uniformly beautiful, with just enough ear-cocking moments and lyrical curveballs to make you wish, well, that there were more of them.
- David Gray
- Mercer Street Records
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- Alice Cooper on His Dinner With David Bowie and Ray Bradbury
- Super Bowl Halftime Shows Ranked: From Worst to Best
- 25 Musicians 'Feeling the Bern' for Bernie Sanders
- Coldplay's Chris Martin Gets Personal: Inside the New Issue
- Beyonce's Black Southern 'Formation'
- 100 Greatest Guitarists
- 500 Greatest Albums of All Time