'Head spinning, mouth open,' sings tonsured Englishman David Gray on the tipsy 'Only the Wine,' the lead track of his handsomely tousled ninth LP. It's a promising start from a guy whose tastefulness too often trumps the spirit of experimentation that distinguishes him from his soft-rock peers. Better yet is the hypnotic title cut, all harmonium drone and splintered groove, and 'When I Was in Your Heart,' riding an unnerving, clipped acoustic-guitar loop and declaring 'the Saviour put a bullet/Right through his brains.' The rest are uniformly beautiful, with just enough ear-cocking moments and lyrical curveballs to make you wish, well, that there were more of them.
- David Gray
- Mercer Street Records
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cinema BlendThe 5 Greatest Comedies of All-Time According to Chris Rock
Bleacher ReportWhat It's Like to Be in Mayweather's Entourage
Men's JournalDo Men Suck at Friendship?
Men's Journal10 Ways to Maximize Pleasure During Sex
Cracked4 Lead Singers That Sound Shockingly Bad Without the Band
Cinema BlendTop 10 Steamiest Sex Scenes
- 'Super Troopers 2' Officially a Go After Crowdfunding $4.4 Million
- 5 Things We Learned From 2015 White House Correspondents' Dinner
- 11 Things We Learned From Bruce Jenner's Coming Out Interview
- Native American Actors Defend Adam Sandler's 'Ridiculous 6'
- Navajo Actress Explains Why She Left Adam Sandler 'Ridiculous 6' Set
- Jay Z Defends Tidal: 'We Are Here for the Long Haul'
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Jared Leto Debuts Ghoulish 'Suicide Squad' Version of the Joker