Follow these fearless alterna-rockers on their path from Eighties weird to pop bliss few would have thought in the late Eighties that the Flaming Lips, a crazed and beautiful psychedelic band from Oklahoma City, would survive the fall of alternative rock, then actually flourish in the Nineties. These two recollections of previously out-of-print Lips music document how guitarist Wayne Coyne and bassist Michael Ivins did it. They started strong: Their early lysergic tracks reveal a band bent on reinventing the raging, surreal moves of the Dream Syndicate and Sonic Youth. But The Day They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg captures the moment when the band came into its own by reconciling its impulse to shriek with its ability to shine. It came with the Lips' 1990 album In a Priest Driven Ambulance — included here in its entirety — on songs such as "Unconsciously Screamin'," where Coyne learned to float his high, pretty and pretty strange vocals over waves of jagged distorto-riffs. The second CD of this set, subtitled "The Mushroom Tapes," documents the delirious but limited path the Lips wisely chose not to take. Or as Coyne himself writes, in the passionately spacy liner notes, the Flaming Lips learned to be honest, even though they had initially been "convinced that to 'shock' or 'teach' listeners was more important than being real. . . . What fools we were."
Finally The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid 1983-88
- Finally The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid 1983-88
- The Flaming Lips
From The Archives Issue 909: November 14, 2002
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
CrackedThe 5 Greatest Movie Sex Scenes
SalonThe 7 Most Tragic Band Deaths In Rock History
Mental Floss11 Hit Songs Originally Intended for Other Artists
Mental Floss24 Things You Didn't Know About 'Goodfellas'
DiffuserMusicians We've Already Lost in 2016
Cracked6 Bands That Reinvented Themselves To Get Famous
- Watch Beyonce's Surprise New Video 'Formation'
- A Polygamist Cult's Last Stand: The Rise and Fall of Warren Jeffs
- Watch Triumph the Insult Comic Dog Slam Politically Correct Youth Voters
- Max Weinberg on 'River' Tour, What He Learned From Bruce Springsteen
- 40 Greatest TV Villains of All Time
- 'The People v. O.J. Simpson,' Episode 2: Our Fact-Checking Recap
- Stephen King on 'Dark Tower' Movie: 'It's Likely to Happen'
- Poll: Against Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump Would Get 'Schlonged'