When Leonard Cohen gave the concerts in England from which this album is culled, he had moved his early, dry folk style to supercontinental address. Here was a North American singer-songwriter diving headlong into the squirrelly intersections of pop and dramatic music, exploring the vagaries of a topic that, for Cohen, was a poetic cosmos unto itself: romance. This recording demonstrates how adeptly he recast that world. His six-man band, Passenger, not only follows but drives and animates his songs. Listen to the title track, in which Passenger easily negotiate the changes: from a march into the graceful slide of a ballad, then into a cheesy, skittery pop tune. Cohen also performs with a backup singer, Jennifer Warnes, who in "The Smokey Life" and "The Gypsy's Wife" represents another sensuous and intelligent reason why Field Commander Cohen is so elaborately, and yet simply, awesome.
Field Commander Cohen Tour Of 1979
- Field Commander Cohen Tour Of 1979
- Leonard Cohen
- Sbme Special Mkts.
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Cracked6 Hit Songs That Destroyed The Bands They Made Famous
Men's Journal10 Sex Positions That Will Get Her Off Every Time
Cracked22 Movies That Made Huge Mistakes You Completely Missed
Mental Floss10 People Banned From SNL
Cracked5 Movies That Made Huge Stars Quit Acting Forever
MTV News6 Cringe-Worthy VMA Moments We’ll Never Forget
- Read Kanye West's Blunt, Poignant VMA Video Vanguard Award Speech
- MTV VMAs 2015's 20 Best and Worst Moments
- Watch Nicki Minaj Blast Miley Cyrus During VMA Acceptance Speech
- Miley Cyrus Slams Nicki Minaj Over VMAs Snub Reaction
- How President Kanye Saved the Video Music Awards: MTV, What's Good?
- Watch Hulk Hogan's Emotional Interview About Racist Remarks, WWE Firing
- Beef, Bombast and Kanye West Reign at Wild MTV Video Music Awards
- Donald Trump Just Stopped Being Funny