Sheryl Crow is nothing if not versatile: A former Michael Jackson backup singer who mixes pop, country, R&B and classic rock, she's built a career as an outspoken singer-songwriter and a Grammy-friendly go-to collaborator. Her eighth LP digs deeper into country tradition than she's ever gone before. The results are uneven, but never feel forced or faked. The ultimate stylistic diplomat, Crow makes every twang her own. It helps to have major Nashville songwriting firepower: Luke Laird, Brad Paisley, Shane McAnally and Chris DuBois help Crow serve a half-century's worth of styles without sounding like a history teacher. The lushly orchestrated, tear-jerking Paisley-co-write "Waterproof Mascara" and the Loretta Lynn/Bobbie Gentry-style "Drinking" (about getting "shitfaced" on a Wednesday night, instead of rolling "a big fat one and watchin' Nashville alone") update vintage countrypolitan and honky-tonk sounds. "Shotgun" and "Easy" are smart, airbrushed '00s mainstream contenders in the spirit of Miranda Lambert and country's tough new radio sweethearts. Crow still sounds most at home on the rockers – especially the steel-laced "Callin' Me When I'm Lonely" and the Bad Company bow "Nobody's Business." But this set suggests the Opry crowd might want to keep her on speed dial.
Feels Like Home
- Feels Like Home
- Sheryl Crow
- Warner Bros.
From The Archives Issue 1191: September 12, 2013
Around the Web
Powered By ZergNet
Around the Web
Mental FlossHow 12 Famous Rappers Picked Their Names
Cinema BlendThe 10 Highest-Grossing R-Rated Movies Of All Time
Cracked5 Famous Albums You Can't Buy Anymore
Salon10 Famous Geniuses And Their Drugs Of Choice
Cracked5 Things That Secretly Affect Who You Want to Have Sex With
Cinema BlendThe 10 Worst Movies Of The Past Year
- Watch John Oliver Explore Insanity of Standardized Testing
- Meet the Osbournes' Other Daughter, Synth-Pop Artist ARO
- Axl Rose Is Mad About Mayweather/Pacquiao, Demands 'Free-Match'
- Madonna Video Director to Helm Norwegian Black-Metal Movie
- Frances Bean Cobain on Life After Kurt's Death: An Exclusive Q&A
- Floyd Mayweather's American Dream
- Eric Clapton Celebrates 70th Birthday With All-Star New York Show
- Watch Blur Create 'The Magic Whip' in 30-Minute 'Making Of' Doc